Saturday, January 3, 2015

Everything is better with a friend


Studies have shown the exercising with a friend has many benefits:
  • Better accountability (you're not likely to skip a workout if you know your friend is counting on you being there)
  • Positive support (having a friend with you going through the same tough workout and motivating you to finish)
  • You're less likely to be bored and the time will pass more quickly with a friend going through the workout too
  • You can celebrate your successes together!
Having a friend as a workout partner boosts your self-confidence in showing you that you can complete the workout with a friend who is similar to you. Having more self-confidence improves the likelihood of adherence to an exercise program - so that you're less likely to quit!

I'm fortunate that my roommate, Clare, loves to run as much as I do - and we're both on the same schedule - which means morning runs before class is our way of waking up and getting in a good sweat! Clare is a bit of a faster runner than I am, which has benefited me in that I've shaved off a couple seconds of my normal 3-mile time by pushing myself to keep up with her over the past 6 months. But I also think I've helped Clare by being her running partner both through ensuring she wakes up for the workouts and also pacing the speed during our runs.
This is Clare! Running a 5k benefit I put on March 2014
Below are some past workouts I've done that I'm grateful to have been with a partner or team who's helped push me to the end:

Warrior Dash with some DePuy ladies (and siblings / friends)
Felice's first full marathon in SF where I ran the last 8 miles with her!
Fenway Spartan Sprint DePuy Synthes Team 2013

Providence Frosty 5k w/ New Bedford & Fall River Folks
Killington Spartan Beast 2013 w/ my girlfriend Emily!
Hanover 5k April 2014
My Mom and I at our FIRST FULL MARATHON at Disney (it was 3am so we were sleepy!)
Having friends and family participate in workouts with you has double the benefits: you both get in shape while getting to spend time with each other!

And finally, for YOUR next workout... a partner workout, one I did while in Miami last Spring on a beach... all you need is a friend and either a yard, park, basketball court, or (yes) a beach. Give yourself about 150-200ft of space between what we'll call Point A and Point B. Only one partner is to be working at any given time. You can split up the number of reps however you want (doesn't have to be even). For example, for 60 burpees (the first exercise), I could do 40 and my partner could do 20 --> just has to add up to 60!
Anything in PINK is something you both do to get from Point A to Point B; RED (or ORANGE) is what ONE PARTNER DOES AT A TIME at one location
Further explanation:
  • Wheel barrow = one partner has their hands on the ground and their partner is holding their legs and walking / running to point A (from Point B)
  • Jump Over Partner = the partner is kneeling on the ground with their hands on the ground. You jump from one side of them to the other (without kicking them in the back!)
  • Buddy Carry = carry your partner however you want from Point A to Point B
  • Frog Jumps = partner kneels down and you jump fully over them, kneeling down to let your partner do the same

1 comment: