Sunday, July 19, 2015

Learning to be a Second Lieutenant - BOLC

Few days for an update.... a month... it's all the same, right?! :|

For the past 5 weeks, I've been at Fort Sam Houston Joint Base San Antonio attending the Basic Officer Leadership Course!
My view from the hotel (at Fort Sam)
The temperature has rarely gone below 90 degrees and my days typically start around 4am and end (usually) by 5:30pm.
Trying to find some shade
I've learned a LOT while being here, but I have to say that the majority of what I learned has been outside of the designated class time and from things like advice from prior service members and reservists and also just from experience.

Some small "nuggets" and tips I've learned thus far:
  • Standing at attention requires a 45 degree angle between feet, with heels touching; scapula is retracted and hands are clasped in a fist (thumbs on the outside) [yes, this is required]
  • Rifle/weapon (never to be called a gun.. oops) is to be carried at "low ready" at all times [and must be carried everywhere with you like a 3rd arm... including the latrines - you could get attacked anywhere!]
  • When firing, jam the M16 into the soft muscular part above the pectoralis muscle - the soft tissue absorbs most of the recoil
  • Tucking in trousers to boots was much easier than trying to use the blousers (these never worked for me!)
  • The gas chamber sucks. Imagine feeling like you really, really want to breathe but your body is absolutely refusing
Me, smiling (somehow) after the gas chamber (not seen are the copious tears and snot covering my face)
  • Putting thick hair into a bun is much easier once it's braided (which was also a learning experience)
First the braid
Then the bun
  • Baby wipes are essential for days where there's no time to shower / the line is too long
  • Having a book to read in the field is CRUCIAL! I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a book to read during the times we're waiting around for the next assignment
  • Learned to be patient ("hurry up and wait" is big in the Army and with 470 students and generally ~15 cadre, it's tough to get everyone in formation / doing the right thing
Arriving at Camp Bullis for Field Training 
Our tents (30 people in each)
I have not eaten any of the MREs (meals-ready-to-eat) - by choice - a lot of the snacks in them have trans fats but more than that, I just don't find them overly appetizing.
MRE = Meal Ready to Eat. Opening it is like Christmas - you never know what you're going to get!

Instead, I brought beef jerky (yes has lots of sodium but considering I'm mostly replenishing with just water throughout the day, I need those extra electrolytes), roasted almonds and LOTS of chocolate-chip quest bars. Fortunately, we do have hot chow for breakfast and dinner and I've found both quite delicious! For breakfast, there's fruit (apples, bananas and oranges - but you have to be one of the early ones to get this cause they run out), eggs (have looked green/watery on occasion but it tastes just fine), bacon, oatmeal, and "coffee" aka dirty water (I drink it anyways), and for dinner: some form of spaghetti or meatballs or "mystery meat" with canned mixed veggies and a side salad).

Prepping for land navigation!
One thing I've noticed that's surprised me while being at Field Training is that it's hard to do physical training (PT) because the only time designated for it happens to be the same time that cell phone use is permitted, dinner is served, and showers are open. Also, it's at the end of a long day and the temperature is still in the 90s. Instead, I've been doing "mat" workouts using a hotel towel and doing that on the floor of the tent to do "7 minute workouts" (even got some of my cabin mates to join in!) but in terms of running, I've been saving that for when I'm home at Fort Sam on the weekends. 

That's all for now! Hopefully won't be as long before I check in again!

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you, you are an amazing beautiful girl, take care of yourself love you very much , Lela (gramma)

    ReplyDelete