Friday, September 9, 2011

Marshmellows don't grow on trees

Title of my blog came from an article I read in the most recent Times magazine about "Healthy Eating" and how too many Americans define dieting as low-fat and fat-free instead of maintaining more moderate portions of natural and organic foods. Things like nuts and whole milk aren't bad ... in moderation. It was really interesting to see how quickly portion sizes were altered once someone thinks "Oh, but it's low fat!" Goal of the day: Think about where your food is coming from! If you're picking up your lunch or a snack, and it's coming from a plastic bag, thing about where whatever it is (chips, a sandwich, etc) is made. Minimizing processed foods in my diet has definitely given me a new appreciation for fresh foods straight from the ground. 


Workout:


2-mile outdoor run, 30 minutes of elliptical, abs: Running outside was so much nicer than the treadmill, especially because the cool, 5am air and lack of cars made it easy to zone out and relax. Definitely beginning to feel sore in my hamstrings and back from all this running though, so I mixed it up with some elliptical and finished off with abs. Overall, a pretty easy day in preparation for a long run this weekend.


Fundraising:


All I can say is WOW!!! It feels so great to have this much support from my peers and coworkers. I found out that J&J matches (DOUBLE!) gifts so that will definitely help me reach my goal! It would be great if I could exceed it, giving more than just the minimum $3700. Currently, I'm at $645, so I still have a ways to go, but considering the webpage has only been up for 3 days, I'd say it's going great! Thanks to Emily's parents, (Lisa and Paul Cody) for the top donation of the day yesterday at $100 :) THANK YOU EVERYONE!


Food:


BreakfastWelp, forgot my Chobani yogurt in the fridge at home. I try to do a great job of packing all my food (and I really mean ALL because I always bring in a big grocery bag of it to work) the night before, but my yogurt got left out yesterday. Fortunately, I keep a stash of Quaker Instant Oatmeal at my desk so I had a serving of the "Cinnamon Swirl" flavor mixed with a handful of nuts and a side of sliced strawberries



Lunch: Leftover stir fry chicken from last night with chopped red peppers, zucchini, carrots, and onions over some spinach.

                                                      

Dinner: No picture to show for this one! I had to eat my tuna sandwich and carrots in class (I have class every Tuesday, Thursday from 6-8pm) and couldn't really take a picture of it without everyone staring at me, but, rest assured, it didn't look that appetizing... it was filling though!

No comments:

Post a Comment